Among many other advantages of Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics (PAOO), is the significantly reduced orthodontic treatment time for our patients. The orthodontic treatment time is cut to 1/4 to 1/3 of the time of conventional braces.
PAOO is a clinical procedure that employs selective various ‘scoring’ or cuts to the layers of bone housing the tooth sockets, bone grafting, and the application of orthodontic forces with use of braces. A couple of the various benefits of this procedure is the increase in bone width around the teeth which allows for more stability for the teeth. This increase in bone also results in improvement of aesthetics of the facial bone structure due to the increased bone support for the skin. The doctor will see the patient every 2 weeks instead of the conventional 2-3 week visits, since the rapid tooth movement produced after the procedure is quicker then the traditional orthodontic treatment. It is believed the accelerated tooth movement is the result of a bone healing pattern known as regional acceleratory phenomenon (RAP). This activity solicits and activates a type of frenzied cell movement necessary to heal wounds directly at the injured site.
What are the steps for PAOO treatment?
- The braces are placed and patient may undergo surgery at the same time or surgery may be scheduled for a week after braces are placed.
- During the PAOO surgery, the doctor makes superficial cuts in the bone around and between the roots of all the teeth promoting the rapid acceleratory phenomenon and creation of extra bone.
- The doctor places bone material within the cuts to ensure good bone density where teeth will move.
- The doctor will then see the patient every 2 weeks to ensure optimum healing and movement.
- After sufficient treatment time, braces are removed and impressions are taken for retainers.
Caution: Graphic surgery depicted and may not be suitable for all viewing audiences.
Google Age-restricted video (based on Community Guidelines)
Dr. Singer, call our office in Alexandria, VA at Old Town Alexandria Office Phone Number 703-299-4614 or
call our Washington, DC office at Washington DC Office Phone Number 202-912-9200.