Periodontal Treatment Instructions
- After periodontal treatment, gum recontouring, or plastic surgery of the gums, you may take over-the-counter pain medication, i.e., Advil, Aleve, Tylenol for pain or discomfort.
- It is advisable to eat only soft food for the first 24-hours, and avoid any hard or spicy foods which could cause irritation.
- Drink plenty of water during the first 24-hours-at least 8 glasses are recommended.
- Place cold towels or an ice pack to the outside of your face in the treated area. Apply for 15 minutes, then remove for 15 minutes during the first 4-6 hours.
- On the morning after the treatment, rinse mouth with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon salt to a glass of warm water). Repeat this several times daily.
- Brush teeth gently to help remove plaque that has started to form.
- Don’t use floss or other home tooth care products, such as toothpicks or electric brushes, until the day after your treatment. Begin very gently at first. Because it is very common for periodontal disease to recur, patients should have regular checkups to monitor progress and prevent recurrence.
- Please follow these home care instructions carefully and call us if you have any questions or concerns.
Office number to call: Old Town Alexandria Office Phone Number 703-299-4614